The “beard gang” knows the importance of keeping the mane well-groomed at all times using a great beard trimmer. Facial hair is undeniably one of the most delicate grooming responsibilities of any man, especially if you’ve got a long thick beard. Today we look at the 8 best beard trimmers for long beards. Having a good beard trimmer can keep the long beards under control, allowing you to look your best in any situation.
Beard trimmers are special types of shaving equipment specifically for long beards. There are various types of beard trimmers. However, one thing common with all kinds is they’re all used to cut hair that is much longer and come with much thinner blades to work on delicate details of the jawline.
The savvy beard grooming tool is, without doubt, a must-have companion, which is why they’re often flexibly designed to occupy minimal space and easy power options. Generally, beard trimmers can either be electrically powered/ rechargeable or run on batteries.
What To Look For in a Beard Trimmer?
- Blades: go for blades that are made of durable metals, preferably stainless steel. This way, you don’t have to worry if it will rust. Titanium blades are a good option also as they’re increasingly becoming popular too.
- Waterproof: you don’t want to get a trimmer that can’t be cleaned under running water.
- Build quality: Although every trimmer is different in quality, ensure the trimmer you’re going for isn’t made of cheap plastic rather valox (a toughened hard-wearing plastic resin).
- Accessories: these are additional features of your trimmer. Consider if the trimmer comes with a carry case or pouch if it is cordless or corded. Most trimmers come with vacuums so that your bathroom isn’t littered with facial hair. Some trimmers have different attachments for trimming eyebrows, ears and nose.
- Power Source: does it run on batteries or must it be plugged directly to an electric channel.
- Motor: the motor must deliver good power to the trimmer at any time without a drop in performance over time. Most trimmers on this list are top range rated so you can rely on their motors to be of good quality.
Beard Trimmer Vs. Hair Clipper Key Differences
Although these two are closely related, the main difference is that Trimmers are made to use the blades to trim the facial hair, not to erase them partially. Shaver’s, instead, are used to clean up your beards. While hair clippers are best suited for a wide range of long hair, the trimmer is designed to have thinner blades for the shorter, sensitive/ turgid hairs of the face.
Unlike trimming with a beard trimmer, the clipper’s blades don’t cut very carefully; neither do they take out ingrowth hair nor possess the trimmer’s precision in maintaining the hairline of the jaw. Lastly, the trimmer can be used as an alternative to the shaver when it comes to multifunctioning, but this is not the case the other way round.
Step By Step Guide To Use a Beard Trimmer
1. Choose The Right Beard Trimmer
This is an essential step to beard trimming. You must get the right beard trimmer and accessories. It must come with an adjustable guard to help you set to the desired length.
2. Get a Mirror
To gain optimum results in the end, it is recommended to set a mirror right in front of you.
3. Adjust To Trimmer Guard
It is imperative to set the trim guard to the desired length before you start trimming. Because beard trimmers are designed to help you get the best of trimming, a good grooming kit should come with a wide range of adjustable guards. However, if you’re unsure about the right guard for you, it is best to start with a more extended guard.
4. Brush Your Beard
This helps to untangle matted hair and bring the beard to an even length. It is also advisable to brush the mustache before trimming.
5. Trim In the Right Direction
Use the trimmer in the upwards direction; this should be opposite to the natural course of the hair. Just as in bushing, it ensures all the hair are evenly trimmed.
6. Smoothen the Neckline
Use a short guard to neaten the neckline because this defines the final results of the trimming. Getting a perfect beard look is much dependent on how well the neck, chin and edges are trimmed neatly.
7. Clean the Beard Trimmer
Proceed to clean the beard trimmer immediately you’re done, this not only removes residual hair trapped in the guard but prolongs its shelf life.
8. Apply Beard Oil
If you didn’t oil the trimmers before shaving, it is mandatory to do so after cleaning and right before storage. Oiling the steel blades of the trimmer keeps them sharp and active for the next trim.
Benefits of Using a Beard Trimmer
- They’re often cordless: Trimmers are convenient to carry around and for travels, and because they’re often cordless, you don’t have to juggle cords around just to get a cut. Also, they’re usually sleek, thus making it easy to carry to wherever you’re going.
- Thinner blades: Because they have thinner blades, they carry out precision cuts close to the skin neatly, thus styling your neck and chin without ingrowth hair or aftershave reactions.
- Best for sensitive skin: Because they usually don’t uproot hair follicles, they’re less likely to leave you with rash irritations or other skin sensitivities. There are higher chances of getting rashes while using a razor than a trimmer.
- Less time consuming: The beard trimmer is designed to perform at a considerably shorter time than shavers. Dedicating 10-20 minutes to shaving traditionally isn’t so much of a good idea when you can get it done better and faster under 7 minutes with a trimmer.
Let’s quickly get into the list.
Run Time: 5 hours
Run Time: 1.5 hours
Run Time: 2 hours
Run Time: 2 hours
Run Time: 1 hour
Run Time: 1 hour
Run Time: 1 hour
Run Time: 1 hour
The 8 Best Beard Trimmers for Long Beards of 2020
1. Philips Norelco Mg7750/49 Multigroom Series
- Dual cut technology for maximum precision
- 2x extra self-sharpening blades capable of lasting up to 5 years
- Full metal motor made with reinforced tempered steel to deliver maximum torque and power
- 5hr minimum runtime per charge lithium-ion rechargeable battery for prolonged performance
- 23 piece all in 1 trimmer for varying hair lengths and styling
The Philips Norelco Multigroom Series 7750/49 is considered one of the best trimmers to date and is a massive upgrade from the Multigroom Series 7000. Weighing just one pound, it is a 23-in-1 precision foil shaver, various layers of rubber guard for secure handling, fiberglass guard and fully washable even with all attachments.
As an all-around groomer, this is undoubtedly one of the best trimmers in the market. However, some users believe that it’s numerous accessories that are not often needed. This one of a kin groomer with its long battery serve time is, without doubt, a must-have.
2. Wahl Professional 5-Star Magic Clip
- Adjustable 5-star magic clip measures 6.25″ long, weighs 1 lb
- Accessories include; 8 cutting guides (1/16″ -1″), styling comb, oil, cleaning brush, operating instructions, and red blade guard
- Corded operation
If you’re looking for a traditional style barber trimmer, then the Wahl Professional 5-Star Magic Clip is the right choice. It is designed for optimum performance for experts offering the cordless freedom trimming provides.
With its high precision zero-overlap blades, you’re sure of maximum control during usage. The trimmer can produce fades and close blends no matter the beard style, thanks to the zero-overlap blades and the manufacturers’ taper level.
As a leading name in the barbering device production for years, Wahl is the best choice for barbershops hoping to up their beard trimming game and highly recommended by professionals. It is undoubtedly a 5 star beard trimmer.
3. Andis 32400 Slimline Pro Lithium Ion T-Blade Trimmer
- Lithium-ion battery delivers up to 2 hours of run time with a 2:15 minute charge time
- High capacity Rotary Motor 120V | 50/60Hz
- Weighs 0.30lbs, 5.63″ long Polymer
- Blades: Andis D7 T-blade
- 4 guards (1/16″, 1/8″, 1/4″, 3/8″)
When it comes to the Andis, the dominant factors include balanced ergonomics, lightweight and thinly packed blades. This neat little trimmer is reliable for anything from necklines to light touchups or detailing work.
It is considered the lightest barber-grade trimmer at only 0,3 lbs yet with a powerful motor for performance. With the Slimline Pro, you don’t need to worry about hand fatigue even on a busy day.
The best plus about the 32400 Slimline Pro is its D8 blade, an upgrade from the D7 blade standard with older models. The 2-hour Lithium-ion battery life is preferable to the older NiMH of earlier models. In a nutshell, the Andis 32400 Slimline Pro Lithium Ion T-Blade Trimmer is a go-to choice for optimal barber grade edging.
4. Babyliss Pro-Outlining Trimmer
- High Torque Brushless Ferrari Designed Engine
- 2-hours of cordless runtime, Lithium-Ion Battery
- Ultra-Thin DLC/Titanium FX707Z blade
- Knurled barbell style grip
- Available in gold, silver, or rose colors
For people who love all things glossy and classy, the Babylisspro Outlining Trimmer is the perfect shaving bling for you.
The Babyliss Pro outliner series are high-quality professional style clippers that come standard with an all-metal body in three different colors to fit your style. This cord/cordless hair trimmer has a lithium battery with a 2-hour runtime & knurled barbell grip for comfort.
Popular as one of the Babyliss Pro trimmers with the highest positive customer reviews, it comes in highly recommended for men who fancy trimming their long beards themselves. The all-metal housing / knurled barbell grip makes it easily maneuverable when trimming the neck region.
5. Panasonic Beard Trimmer ER-SB40-K
- Snap-On trimmer attachment
- High-powered 9,800 CPM linear hair machine motor
- ER-SB40-K AC has 9 different settings
- Sleek, lightweight, ergonomic cordless rubberized grip
- Ultra-sharp stainless-steel, hypoallergenic blades
Awarded a 2017 GQ magazine Grooming Award, it comes with one of the quickest adjust easy clip adjustments in the market and provides 19 precision settings for users. It is best for DIY sculpting, trimming, detailing and cutting.
The Panasonic beard trimmer adopts both a corded and cordless mechanism, and unlike other trimmers on the list, it is equipped with 9800 cuts per minute powerful motor.
Perfectly designed for optimal trimming, the ultra-sharp durable Panasonic trimmer is made from hypoallergic stainless for maximum comfort and to prevent even the faintest form of allergy. Sleek, lightweight and durable, the mustache trimmer comes with a rubberized handle for excellent grip, comfort and total control.
6. Braun Beard Trimmer BT3040
- 39 precision length settings with 0.5mm steps
- 8 hour charge time for Lifetime lasting power; 60 minutes of precision trimming
- Stainless steel blade material
- Fully waterproof and washable under running water
- Free Gillette Fusion ProGlide razor with FlexBall technology to define lines and create contours
- Corded and cordless adaptors
With a lasting power comparable to none other, the Braun BT3040 Beard Trimmer is a subtle reminder that Braun is ever ready to dish out optimum trimmers for men. Asides its “everlasting” power lasting abilities it also comes with an indicator for low battery.
The classy yet straightforward Braun trimmer suit to 120 or 240 volts, enabling you to charge the trimmer anywhere.
The Braun sharp blades deserve some commendation as they are noted to have lasted longer than other products of the same price range. They knew how important it is to keep the trimmer clean, which is why the Braun trimmer is completely washable and can even survive a fall into the pool. Best suited for keeping varying lengths of beard.
7. Hatteker All-In-One Trimmer
- USB fast charging Up to about 60 minutes shaving time (about 20 shavers) by only approximately 1.5-hour charging
- Fully submersible in water
- 5 in 2 multi-functional grooming kit, including a body groomer
- LED display
- Moving and standing blades run together
- Lithium-ion battery
This handy clipper can serve as a hair clipper, a beard trimmer, or a detail trimmer for goatees, mustaches, and more. Hatteker is a brand that is known for manufacturing a wide range of different trimmers.
Compact, sleek, and easy-to-use, the brand offers versatility and full control over the way you trim your hair. The blades are self-sharpening for convenience and ease of use. Key selling points are its safety of use and ease of operation. The fully HD display mechanism makes it easy to display information such as battery life.
It is waterproof and cordless for easy use. For a trimmer of its high capacity is it incredibly affordable, thereby making it one a reliable choice for professional barbers.
For our verdict, this is a most versatile trimmer on the list and is easy to use even for novice barbers.
8. Philips Beard Trimmer Series 9000 BT9297
- Self- sharpening titanium blades
- 120 minutes runtime for cordless use after 1 hour charge
- LED indicator for battery charging and level
- Accurate Laser Beam guidance system emits red light for precise cuts
- Dual-sided with reversible trimmer offers versatility styling
The ultimate trimmer for men who wish to maintain a precise length of beard. The Philips 9000 laser-guided beard trimmer uses a laser guide to maintain uniform distance while trimming by projecting a thin, sharp-edged and easy-to-see line onto your face, showing you precisely where your facial hair will be cut.
The dual-sided trimmer gives you two options in one blade. Because the steel blades are self-sharpening, they stay sharp for a longer while than conventional blades.
Maintenance and cleaning are made easy by the easy-clean blade design, and the entire trimmer is waterproof-all necessary parts can be cleaned under a running tap. The Philip series is a good one with a laser technology guaranteed to keep your beard trim and tidy.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is The Difference Between Detachable And Adjustable Blade?
Detachable blades can be entirely detached from the trimmer quickly without tools, while adjustable trimmers are fixed atop the tripper with screws and cannot be removed.
Corded vs. Cordless: Is One Better Than The Other?
Corded trimmers are more versatile since they can stay in power for more extended periods if what you’re trying to achieve takes longer. On the other hand, cordless trimmers offer more freedom of movement and portability. Basically, it depends on the purpose.
How Do You Clean a Beard Trimmer?
Because cleaning the trimmer is essential in maintaining their cutting performance and longevity, blades should be cleaned and oiled after each use. The trimmer should be washed in adherence to instructions laid out by the manufacturers in the instruction manual.
How Often Should I Oil My Blades?
Blades should be oiled before and after each use. Use the 5-point oiling system to lubricate your clipper and keep it running at top performance: 3 drops across the blade’s teeth and 1 drop on each back rail. After oiling, turn on and let run for 5-10 seconds to spread the oil. Turn off and then wipe off any excess oil.
How Long Should a Trimmer Blade Last?
It depends on use and care on the user’s part. It is import to clean and oil blades after each use. With proper maintenance, a trimmer can last for a long while before replacement.
How Do I Store My Blades?
It is recommended that blades are stored in a low moisture environment to avoid corrosion. Hence, it is wrong to leave blades out on the vanity as moisture around the bathroom can get on them. Padded blade storage case pouch should be provided to keep moisture away and keep them from getting chipped.
If you need the best results in grooming your beard, getting a good trimmer is the first step to achieving that. It doesn’t matter if it is a cordless type or the corded the essential factors to consider is the durability of whatever product you have on your wish list.
Today, manufacturers are churning out excellent trimming technologies to help achieve a wide range of styles. To be in the know of all trends beard trimming and maintenance, check out our articles on Best Beard Butters and Best Beard Oils.