NeshNYC is reader-supported, meaning we get a small commission if you decide to make a purchase through our links, at no cost to you. Read the full disclosure here.
Keeping the beard neat and tidy goes beyond slapping on some basic soap or marinating the beard in various bottles of “supposed” beard moisturizers. Every knowledgeable beards-man knows better not to relegate the importance of periodic washing of the beard using specific soaps designated for the beards alone.
The best beard soaps are known to nourish the follicles without completely removing oils from the beard. The big question is, what are the best brands for beard soaps? And why are they unique? Read on to discover the 7 best beard soaps in 2022.
Beard soaps are specifically designed for the beard and contain ingredients and moisturizers specifically suited for the nature of hair that grows in that region. Not all soaps are suitable for beards, as many tend to dry out the beard and the cause possible skin reactions.
What To Look For In a Beard Soap?
There are several criteria to consider when shopping for a beard soap, some of these include:
- Cleansing ability: while the goal of a beard soap is to clean your beard, look for soaps with natural exfoliators.
- Moisturizing ability: a good beard soap should leave your facial hair feeling softer and healthier. This is achievable through the ingredients within. Look for natural ingredients such as:
- Essential oils- some of the best essential oils for beard soap are geranium, chamomile, lavender, and bergamot.
- Carrier oils – they ensure the skin doesn’t get dry.
- Coconut oils – coconut oils help to improve the lather.
- Beeswax – the presence of wax, ensures the beard soap preserves for a long time.
- Lather: a good beard soap should lather up quickly; this quality is not often found in homemade beard soap because they do not contain lather-specific chemicals most times.
- Scent: does it smell good? You don’t want a soap that leaves your beard feeling awful when you step out. Pick soaps with a mild scent that is likely to fade off real quick.
- Ingredients: avoid going for soaps with unknown chemical compositions and potentially harmful ingredients. Some ingredients to avoid when going for beard soaps include:
- Sodium Laureth Sulfate – do not buy beard soaps that contain this as they result in skin allergies and irritation.
- Ureas – they are the primary cause of skin discoloration and burns.
- Parabens – they disrupt the body’s hormonal function.
Benefits of Using Beard Soap
- Moisturizes the beard and skin beneath it.
- Relatively more comfortable to use by simply rubbing on the beard.
- Prevents the occurrence of beard itches, flaking, dryness, and beard dandruff.
- Has a long-lasting effect as its effect stays longer than conventional soaps.
- Relatively cheaper compared with beard shampoos.
Scent: Pine Tar
Weight: 5 oz
Scent: Woody scent
Weight: 4.2 oz
Scent: Special Cooling Scent
Special Cooling Scent
Weight: 7 oz
Scent: Subtle Scent
Weight: 4 oz
Scent: Pine and Cedar
Pine and Cedar
Weight: 4 oz
Scent: Signature Bossman Manly Scent
Signature Bossman Manly Scent
Weight: 4 oz
Scent: Cedar Spice & Birchwood Scent
Cedar Spice & Birchwood Scent
Weight: 2x 4.2 oz
2x 4.2 oz
The 7 Best Beard Soaps of 2022
1. Dr. Squatch Pine Tar Soap
- Handmade pine soap
- No harsh chemicals and preservatives
- Deep cleansing and moisturizing solution
- Ingredients: Saponified Oils of (Olive, Sustainable Palm, Coconut), Water, Lye, Pine Tar, Shea Butter, Natural Fragrance, Oatmeal, Sand, Sea Salt, Kaolin Clay, Activated Charcoal
The Dr. Squatch Pine Tar Beard Soap Bar is a woody blend of natural oils that later smoothly and leaves the beard feeling softer and deeply moisturized.
Although many users think it’s fresh on the skin as well, we advise you to stick to the beards. With its manly pine forest scent that leaves you feeling utterly amazing and cold-pressed coconut oil seethed in premium glycerin oil, it is one guaranteed formula to leave you looking like a Greek god.
Its amazing properties contain excellent antiseptic and antibacterial properties to keep your skin healthy and minimize breakouts, bumps, aches, and other irritations.
2. Professor Fuzzworthy's Beard Shampoo Bar
- 100% Natural ingredients
- Anti-itch ingredients with a woody scent
- Serves as both a body and hair wash
- Made in Tasmania, Australia
- List of ingredients includes; Springwater, olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil, soy wax, beeswax, Apple Cider Vinegar, Seaweed extract, honey, cocoa powder, Kunzea & essential oils
Made in Tasmania Australia, Professor Fuzzworthy’s moisturizing beard shampoo bar for promoting beard growth and getting relief from persistent beard itch is another product on our list.
This beard shampoo gained popularity as soon as the user discovered its unique quality and affordable cost. Unlike most naturally made shampoos, it produces a rich lather that deep cleanses the beard without stripping the skin off its natural oil.
Fuzzworthy’s shampoo is in a league of its own; many wonder why it’s a shampoo bar and not a shampoo or a bar. This is because of its incredible lather ability, which also makes it last longer. The 4 oz bar is equivalent to a 27 fl oz liquid shampoo when in use.
3. Prophet and Tools Beard & Body Soap - Premium Edition
- Unique formula to unclog pores
- Natural vitamins and oils
- Ingredients include; Sodium stearate, glycerol, sorbitol, propylene glycol, sucrose, olive oil, natural plant extracts, deionized water, fragrance
Prophet and tools multi-function beard and body soap bar contain a wide variety of natural ingredients, essential oils, and vitamins for the ultimate beard care. If your facial hair is always scaly and dried out, maybe you should try this.
Specific to this product, it must be used with warm water, and since it melts very quickly, it should be stored in a dry and cool environment. Continuous use of Prophet and tools beard soap keeps you free from itchiness and blocked pores. For a more extended beard use with organic beard wax.
4. Maison Lambert Beard Shampoo Bar
- 90% Organic ingredients
- Enriched with organic unrefined Argan Oil, Aloe Vera, and Cocoa butter
- No animal testing
- Ingredients include Organic Aloe Vera, Organic Coconut Oil, Organic Palm Fruit, Organic Castor Oil, Organic Olive Oil, Organic Unrefined Argan Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Organic Cocoa Butter, Organic Grapeseed Oil, Bentonite Clay, essential oils of Cedarwood, Lavender, Tea Tree, Rosemary, Lime
The Maison Lambert beard kit couldn’t be more appealing with its breathtaking beard care abilities. The shampoo bar is made with the finest organic blend of organic oils and Cedarwood. Since it was formulated as a shampoo, it foams excellently and lasts longer than other beard soaps of its kind. The estimated time of usage is two months while on daily use.
Following a strict organic handmade French tradition, the Maison Lambert is exceptionally useful in treating dry skin beneath the beard. Also, the creamy lather helps soften the skin, and since the product is 90% organic, it doesn’t have an overwhelming scent.
5. Maple Hill Naturals - Honest For Men Black Forest Beard Wash
- 100% Natural Ingredients
- 1 bar equivalent to 24 oz liquid soap
- Pin and cedar blend scent
- Handcrafted in the USA
- Ingredients include Glycerin, Coconut Oil, Water, Palm Oil (sustainable), Castor Oil, Olive Oil, Hemp Seed Butter, Shea Butter, Avocado Oil, Jojoba Oil, Vanilla Essential Oil, Pine Scotch Essential Oil, Cedar Wood Essential Oil, Sodium Hydroxide (Lye)
The Maple Hill natural soap is truly an honest blend of natural oils and herbs rich in vitamins necessary to keep the beard healthy and long. The beard wash does not contain chemical additives to prevent all the unwanted skin and beard irritations accompanied by chemicals.
The herbal soap also prevents itching and flakes and reassure you of a healthy follicle after prolonged use. Another good thing about Maple Hill’s natural soap is its sweet natural candy orange and lavender scent.
Locally made in the United States with a touch of traditional soap making secrets, the whole product weighs less than 4 oz. Still, it is comparable to any liquid wash weighing 24 oz, a good indication that it would last longer when in use. The maple hill packaging is made from recycled paper, and that’s their way of keeping the environment clean.
6. Bossman’s 4-in-1 Bar Soap
- 4-in-1 soap: beard wash, shampoo, conditioner and body wash
- Made with natural oils
- Signature Bossman scent
- Ingredients include; All organic base oil mixture of coconut, palm, sunflower, and safflower. Sodium hydroxide (lye). Organic cocoa powder. Organic plantain leaf powder. Organic Shea butter. Organic virgin coconut oil
Bossman’s beard and hair soap is a 100% natural blend of cleaning agents and oils. In the promise of good results and sticking to health standards, the soap has no harmful foaming agents that could strip and dry out natural oils from the beard.
It leaves the facial hair clean moisturized and is indeed the perfect beard care for a clean and moisturized. Aside from amazing beard care qualities, the Bossman beard soap also has fantastic antiseptic properties thanks to the presence of so many natural antiseptic oils useful in the treatment of various skin diseases such as eczema acne, dandruff and psoriasis.
The balanced combination of lavender, vanilla, rosemary, and patchouli creates a clean, manly, and seductive scent for close encounters. They are also contained in the soap to keep your beard feeling soft all day long.
7. Rocky Mountain Barber Company Soap Bart
- 100% natural ingredients
- 5-in-1 soap: shampoo, conditioner, body wash, face wash and hand soap
- Six major essential oils
- Two amazing scents: birchwood and cedar
- Transparent soap made of premium lather
- Hand made from raw materials
- Ingredients include; Sodium Cocoate, Sodium castorate, Sodium Stearate, Glycerin, Sucrose, Aqua, Citrus aurantifolia (Lime) oil, Betula lenta (Sweet Birch) oil, Cedrus deodora (Himalayan Cedarwood) oil, Annatto (Bixa Orelana) Seed
For years, Rocky Mountain has been a formidable brand for naturally made men’s grooming products, and this exceptional 5-in-1 beard soap is not an exception. The beard soap is formulated from the best blend of essential oils and herbs.
It is an all-in-one wash soap that could also be used as a shampoo thanks to its creamy lather. Inspired by nature, the product is packed with two 100% natural bars of two unique scents – cedar spice and birchwood – and contains no artificial fragrance or harsh chemicals.
There’s a significant difference between this particular soap and the rest, and it lies in the lather. The transparency of the soaps, and their delicate crystal structures, makes them ready for action immediately; hence once lather is formed, it gets to work quickly.
Patchouli, an extract in the soap, can treat hair and skin issues, such as dandruff, acne, eczema, and dermatitis. Glycerin, on the other hand, is an excellent moisturizer for a wide variety of skin types.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is The Difference Between Natural, Handmade Soap, And Store-Bought Soap?
The significant difference is that handmade soaps contain glycerin and natural oils, which naturally soften the skin and keeps the skin moist. Handmade soaps are made the “old fashioned way” using a traditional cold-press method to extract oils from flowers, herbs, barks, and fruits. Thus, leaving them with a natural scent.
Can Beard Soap Replace Beard Shampoo?
Is Beard Soap And Shaving Soap The Same?
No, there’s a vast difference between a beard soap and a shaving soap. One majored difference between the two is the presence of potassium and sodium salts, which are present in shaving soaps. Also, shaving soaps contain a high concentration of stearic acid and fat needed to create the stable lather, slickness, and softness required for shaving.
Yes, beards get dirty, but how you wish to clean them determines a whole lot in keeping them well-groomed. The regular use of beard specific products when washing your beard is the best approach. Check out our other grooming articles to give your beard the best care using the best products.